Procrastination (But I Digress)

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

Those fans are very vocal. Well we have the round of 16. Isner did not go 70 games and he did not win. He's like a very large teddy bear--you like him a lot--he's a teddy bear, but he's just too big. He only has one real weapon, a killer serve. All the rest is almost painful to watch. In the latter part of the games, he looks like every step is a chore. He is sometimes playful, but mostly looks like he doesn't want to be there. Kind of sad for us Americans, but we're amatuers. Sam Stosur lost--lions and tigers and bears. I haven't watched the game yet, but it was on my twitter (I really need to unfollow the tennis channel). She was the only hope for Australia to win their own open. I mean, America is pretty lucky, we have the Williams sisters and we even have Roddick--sure he hasn't won in a while, but he's still a top ten for the past seven or eight years. Australia had only Hewitt for the longest time. I love Hewitt, but the guy doesn't even come close to beating a Roger or Nadal. Sam at least had a game that could beat a Kim or Caroline or Maria and certainly a Zvonoreva. It really wasn't outside the realm of possibility with the Williams sisters out that she would win the whole thing. Oh well.

The good news is that Kuznetsova took care of Henin--I do not like Justine and Kuznetsova is pretty good--she's been much higher ranked than her current 23, so it is nice to see her advance. I was very sorry to see Petrova go out--I like Petrova a lot--very dynamic player, but for Kim Clijster's sake--her portion of the draw just got a lot easier. Maria struggled against Goerges, but her serve is her bigger enemy. Darn shoulder injuries are career killers, so I'm very glad that she's made it this far--if she can just keep it going, I would love to see her play Caroline Wozniacki in the semi. On the other side, I really think that Kim can wipe the floor with all of them, but every once in a while, Kim just doesn't show up, so I hope that she continues to play well.

On the men's side, Nadal has not dropped a set. Of course, he lucked out a bit when the youngster Tomic beat Chardy and Lopez, but still--he's playing really well. Next up Cilic--what a tournament he is having. First he takes out the young American Donald Young without much trouble, then a four setter against Giraldo and then yesterday (really today) a five setter against Isner. Only four breaks of serve in the entire match--two tie breakers, split and then 9 to 7 in the final set. The last five setter for Isner was 70-68, so Cilic must have been thanking his lucky stars that they have lights to play into the night at the Australian. With Isner's serve, if he hadn't been exhausted it could go a long, long time.

I'm glad to see that Roddick is still in it, but that Wawrinka is no cake walk and Fed is the prize, so I don't see him past the quarters. I'm also glad to see Verdasco into the round of 16--I really hope that I get to see his match with Berdych--great players, but tv doesn't always show their matches. I don't think that Almagro will give Djokovic any trouble and I expect that we will see a semi with Roger and Djok, but it is really not a foregone conclusion that Roger will win. Djokovic has had a pretty easy tournament so far, while Roger has had a bit more work to do.

On the other side, everyone says to watch out for the newcomer Milos Raonic from Canada. It's been a good long time since we've had a Canadian to root for. Nester only plays doubles (although I saw him at UCLA--pretty good player). He plays Ferrer who is seasoned so that might be it for Raonic. If not, then we get to see the new kid play Nadal--that could be fun. Soderling is making his way through and I don't count him out at all against Murray, and either one against Nadal should make a pretty good match. Of course, I want Nadal all the way, so we shall see.

So my pick is Nadal and Kim Clijsters--so sad that Stosur is out. I would have loved to root for her to go all the way--especially if Petrova had made it to the round of 16 to really challenge Kim. Petrova v. Stosur--what a match that would have been. And if Maria had somehow survived Asarenka and Wozniacki (doable, but unlikely), Maria Sharapova against Sam Stosur--oh my! Oh well, we still have Clijsters v. Zvonareva--just not the same and then maybe Kim v. Maria--again, just not the same. Good for Kimmie, but sad for me.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie--I really like this tournament, even if it is a little loud.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home