Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, January 17, 2011

It is Tennis Time

People ask me, Why Tennis? I've never played. I don't go to see local "matches". I was surprised to learn the local high school has a tennis team and when I got a match pass to see an entire tournament at UCLA a few years ago, I saw the only other person I knew who was a tennis fan (in a very large stadium--the odds were outrageous). When I tell Adam that Nadal won, he is condescendingly fake excited for me.

Well the origin of my being a fan goes way back to when my Aunt Mary was a big fan and she gave me her tournament tickets one year. I went to see every women's match at the Virginia Slims open in Manhattan Beach. These were the days of Chris Everett and Martina Navratilova--very exciting for Women's Tennis. Of course, I loved John McEnroe and loved to hate Jimmy Connors, but as life got busy and full, I lost touch with tennis...until Nadal.

I fell in love with that guy. He is amazing. Life is sufficiently boring so that it didn't take too much effort to get right back in the thick of being a big time fan. Let me clarify, I've never played tennis. I don't know the first thing about how to play. I know the rules from watching and listening to the commentators (although a lot of the time I turn the sound off--you can only listen to how great Roger is for so long and then you get sick to your stomach). So to be fair, I don't love tennis--I love watching exciting tennis. Like the Spaniards last year--those matches were so spectacular. And Venus or Serena (Serena is out of the Australian Open--so sad).

Aunt Mary loved tennis and got the tennis channel. I spent many a Sunday afternoon watching tennis with her. Mom loved tennis too and her time share in Florida to which I was invited a few years coincided with Wimbledon, so watching the finals with Mom was fun. Dad only likes Maria Sharapova, but he does have a really cool feature on Direct tv that shows several matches at once all that you can pick and choose from--jealous, I am. Me, I have borrowed cable with a dvr. I will try to tape it and watch all I can, but I am probably going to watch less and less. There are babies to play with and five year olds really don't like tennis--they like Little Bear and Elmo. Does anyone want to know what Little Bear is up to these days--that Bear never gets any older, but I have noticed that Mother Bear and Father Bear are more playful and involved then most cartoon parents I've ever known. Really puts real life parents to shame--Mother Bear had to take the budget away from Father Bear and send him out to play with Little Bear. She got it done in no time and was able to join them. Little Bear wanted to make sure that hot chocolate and snow ball fights were in the budget and Mother Bear assured him they were. I might have to put in ear plugs--maybe tennis matches are on the radio...

2 Comments:

  • At January 17, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    Nancy and I followed professional tennis in the seventies when we played a lot in Florida. Nancy played 5 or 6 days a week. Now golf is our game and our viewing choice but we DO watch the really big tennis matches for old times sake.
    Tennis on radio??? BORING!

     
  • At January 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Did Caitlyn read my blog? Two days in a row, I'm watching tennis and she comes in and wants to watch Little Bear. Last night I let her fall asleep in my sitting room, but she had to watch tennis. After every single point, she asked, "Who won the game?" Finally, I told her she had to be quiet and try to go to sleep. She whispered for a few points and then finally fell asleep--it was just Zvonorava cleaning up. It should have put me to sleep too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home