Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wild Weather


Thanks, Erika--here is a picture from my phone that I took at the airport yesterday in Burbank. A double rainbow (the second one didn't come out very good). Very rare. But that wasn't even the news. I got off the plane to this view and then all of a sudden, there were big fat rain drops coming down--in California--in September--in 100 degree heat. Still not the news. Then there was lighting and thunder. We never have thunder and lighting. Ok, never is a long time--a couple of times we've had thunder and lighting, in the middle of the night, in the Winter--maybe five times IN THE PAST THIRTY YEARS! Still not the news. It went on for over an hour--the big rain cloud just sat there over Burbank and my part of Glendale for over an hour. It rained a bit--never very long--but there was more lighting and thunder. And there were traffic helicopters flying around--I mean aren't they afraid they'll get hit by the lightning? Perhaps it is so rare, that they don't even know to get out of the sky in a lightning storm.
Any way, it smelled just like Michigan in July--hot, hot weather, big fat rain drops, gorgeous rainbow. Adrienne was very bummed that she missed it. She was beating the heat in a movie. Adam missed it too--he was in San Francisco. I almost missed it, but I got back to town just in time. It's a good thing I got a picture--I sure would never have believed it.
Uncle John's last post was about how cold it was in Southern California a few weeks ago and then this week we have record heat and now a rainbow. This is earthquake weather, that's what this is. [Let me digress to say that no one can really predict earthquakes, but it is freaky weird to be in an earthquake and so as humans, we look for clues to help us cope. My personal theory (probably with no back up, because it's not like I kept actual records) is that when it is really cold and then really hot or vise versa, we're going to have an earthquake. I am completely willing to believe that the movement of the rocks at the earth's core can be affected by the weather at the surface even though writing this out loud sounds extremely silly. So if there is an earthquake--I'm going to say Ah Ha! And if there is no earthquake... well, it was one heck of a wild weather day yesterday. Something for the record books.]

2 Comments:

  • At September 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, what is the news?

    Za

     
  • At October 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    So the clerk of the court said, I heard thunder on my way into work. No I thought, it was beautiful and sunny when I got to court. When I walked out it was to a torrential rain--one black cloud with lightening and heavy rain (and loud thunder) for about a minute, but all around the horizon beautiful blue sunny sky. What crazy California weather. If this was Michigan, no big deal, but California?? Extra freaky with an amazing on top.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home