Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Movie Night

So back when I was involved in way too many different clubs and organizations, I didn't have a single free night to call my own. Between ABWA, PTA, Girl Scouts, Kiwanis, YW, etc., etc., I had no free time. I've been cutting back significantly on my extracuricular activities and now I have a few nights a week that I can legitimately call my own. So I made Monday night, my Monday movie night. I've seen a lot of movies in the past year or so--some really good and some really, really bad. When I see a bad movie, it is a little harder to part with my money the following week to see another movie. When I see a really good movie, I am tempted to go to the movies more than once a week and have therefore seen more than my fair share of bad movies. Math, it's everywhere.

There are only a few movies that I have gone to see twice in the theater and that is usually to be social and to go see something that other people want to see or would like. But I can't say that I've ever gone to see a movie that I didn't like twice--I'm just not that social.

So I have been looking forward to seeing "Eat, Pray, Love" after reading the book. I tried not to get my expectations up too high, because that is a sure way to ruin it. The movie was very good--a little slow, but good. There were a few shortcuts from the book and I have to say knowing the back story made the movie better. But there was also a few new things in the movie that I either didn't remember from the book or seeing them was a fresh experience. There was one scene in particular that I did not remember from the book and there didn't appear to be anything that could make it work and then just the right gesture, just the right small smile made all the difference. That Julie Roberts is a much better actress than I've ever given her credit for. The screenplay writers are to be commended--good job.

There are a few more movies out and coming out that I am looking forward to, but as I said, I try not to get my hopes up--that is a sure way to be disappointed. And now, the first day of the work week that gets a bad rap, holds a little bit of magical expectation for me. I'm out of money so I'm trying to figure out how to economize and keep Monday Movie Night. Watching the dvd or on tv just wouldn't be the same.

1 Comments:

  • At August 20, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Two people have told me that they did not like the movie. Now your opinion alters my view. Have you asked the movie maven how she liked it? She has an astonishing ability to know what will win awards.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home