Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Whew

I made it through "Pray" in the book "Eat Pray Love". It was surprisingly easy. I have to say that Liz is pretty down to earth and even though she described having an out of body experience or two, she was rather matter of fact about it. She described wanting to enhance her religious experience by taking a vow of silence and then they made her the proverbial tour guide to tap into her easy gift of gab. You can't change who you are--God made you that way on purpose, was the take away. I liked that part. Next stop Indonesia. I really can't think of anything that I would eat there. The only homage to eating in India was that it was vegetarian fare. Nope, if I want a guru, I'm afraid I'll have to find one here. No worries--that meditation stuff sounded pretty simple. Clear your mind, focus on a chant, don't be side tracked by digressions. Hmmmm. Might not be my cup of tea. I do not like tea.

In other news, welcome to some of my toastmasters friends who have found my blog. A widening audience is always fun, but it does make conversations a little more challenging. My last blog was about doing nothing, on purpose (in which I went to San Diego to sit by the beach), so Dennis said, where did you stay in San Diego? Great question--always good to find an affordable beach front place to stay and if I was able to go then it must be affordable. So Elysa overhears this and says, "you went to San Diego, what did you do there?" Our breaks are only minutes. How can I explain the "nothing" that I did in San Diego to someone who is expecting to hear a travel log?

Elysa's daughter lives in San Diego and had her wedding there. The pictures were so cool and her daughter is a lovely person (and yes, Uncle Marcel, if I had had my thinking cap on, it would have been so great to meet her for lunch one day--heck, if I really had my thinking cap on, Elysa might have enjoyed a weekend in San Diego with me and I can't think of a more fun time than that, but I digress). The problem is that the point was not where or with whom, but what. You don't invite other people to come and do absolutely nothing with you.

I tried to do absolutely nothing again this past Saturday (after I finished the Toastmasters training in the morning). But it was really hot. So I thought, I'll just go to work (where there's air conditioning) and then maybe catch a movie (also air conditioned), but I'll do nothing at work (I was procrastinating that Pray part of the book so I didn't want to read). Except that there was a big pile of documents that I needed to go through, but I just never have the time. So I thought, well, I'll just organize them and not look at them. Four hours later, I had missed the movie start times and it was time to admit defeat. On the other hand, I took care of the Toastmaster training and I got through all those documents that I needed to review. A very productive day. Too bad it was not my goal. Darn, maybe I do need that guru. I really hope he (or she) doesn't make me drink tea.

p.s. Now I'm really procrastinating the next part of the book. Indonesia sounds like a place I'd like to visit least and Love, well that could mean anything. So far the author's failed romances sound like they should stay that way and the only pure happy love she's discussed is for her 8 year old nephew. My nieces and nephews are certainly in my love sphere so I'm not sure why I'm resisting, but Indonesia. She's going to stay with a Medicine Man. This just does not sound like it can go well. Luckily, Kiwanis at lunch (no time to read) and I need to watch all my shows on tivo, because I am switching over to att (no time to read). I have a big project to get out at work (no slacking off and reading at work) and Chelle wants to go to the movies. I might be able to drag this out until the movie comes out--time enough to pull that bandaid off.

4 Comments:

  • At July 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Wow, I finished the last part of the book in record time. I have nothing to read again.

     
  • At July 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    What? Does that mean that you did not learn anything about Love? If so, what was it?

     
  • At July 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you ever listen to books on CD? If so, I have one that I'd send your way if you'd mail me the one you just read.
    -Tracy

     
  • At July 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    I was just saying to someone yesterday that I just can't pay attention during a book on tape. I watch tv. I listen to the radio, but for some reason, my mind wanders when I listen to a book on tape and then I'm hopelessly lost. Thank you anyway.
    I'm going to the library--they are sure to have a book or two.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home