Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Flexibility

That's our theme for toastmasters tonight and I am the toastmaster. For the uninitiated, that is like the master of ceremonies. I will introduce the theme, introduce the speakers and generally keep the meeting moving. So I will need to say a few words about flexibility.

Roll with the punches used to be a popular phrase, but I think it fell out of favor in this no tolerance for domestic violence age. Life in the fast lane is one of my favorite phrases, but it doesn't really mean flexible--it is more, keep up, get moving, go, go, go.

When I was younger than I am now, I believed that I was the picture of flexibility. I could accommodate change easily and a change in plans was no big deal. So I was going to open the meeting with something along the lines of how very flexible I am. I've always been a problem solver--think outside the box--very flexible. But when I searched for concrete examples, I realized that I am no longer very flexible. In fact, I have to admit that I am not flexible at all. Little things like drinking diet coke from a can. I don't like to do it and now my car is littered with cups that have held ice for the short trip to my office. No ketchup, no problem--I won't eat. Too hot, too cold, good-bye. The gym playing the song Macharania--I just get up and leave. Hmmmm. Is this inflexible or stubborn about what I like and what I don't like? Is there a difference?

Physically, I am not flexible. Maybe I was a bit more flexible 60 pounds ago, but no more. Ethically, I'm not very flexible. I try to keep an open mind, but I'm rather a stickler for law and order. I want to be flexible regarding swearing. When I was younger I have a clear memory of believing that swearing was a perfectly acceptable manner of expression. Now it offends me. Go figure, old age.

Perhaps I am being too hard on myself. If a speaker doesn't show up, it is no big deal to simply adjust the line up and make adjustments. Other people grouse about the person who failed to keep their commitment, while I give them the benefit of the doubt, knowing that everyone has a lot of stuff on their plates, so that occasionally something has to give. If one argument isn't working (to a Judge or client), then it is no big deal to shift courses and make a new one. That's flexible. Don't put all your eggs in one basket--is that a flexibility slogan?

Ok, I still have nothing to say. It is going to be a quiet evening. That's flexible, right?

5 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just go with the flow!
    Tracy

     
  • At August 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A good test of their flexibility would be for the toastmaster to change the theme of tonight's show.

    Za

     
  • At August 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    how about just reading your blog about flexibility?

     
  • At August 11, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    You say you are rather a stickler for law and order. In a previous post you said you are a liberal. Well, I wonder what your position is on illegal aliens. I suspect from your declared political persuasion you are pro amnesty for illegal aliens even though you are a law and order stickler. If so, you are more flexible then you give yourself credit for.

     
  • At August 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can a person be pro life and for thevdeath penalty?

    Za

     

Post a Comment

<< Home