Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, September 02, 2010

A Comment or Two or Four

I tried to comment on my Uncle John's blog about James Lee, but my computer won't show me the word for the word verification.

So for my audience, let me set up what my Uncle John said (and remember I am paraphrasing through the glasses of my opinions): A few days ago, Uncle John posted something about what a crock global warming is and that it is based on flawed science with publicized errors and everyone should wake up and protest against environmentalists or some such stuff--remember I'm paraphrasing. Anderson gave a similar speech at Toastmasters and I was amazed, but I digress.

Then yesterday, Uncle John posted a picture of James Lee, the guy who took hostages at the Discovery Channel headquarters and was killed by police, saying that he was misguided by flawed global warming hype and it is a good thing that he didn't kill anyone. So here is my response:

I hope your last post didn't push him over the edge--it is kind of eerie that you just posted about global warming being a myth (most likely prompted by some report in the right wing radical conservative newscast that is called "fair and balanced")and then there is a radical on the other side to balance out the universe.

[Gee that sounds a little mean. Nothing personal, but I am really adverse to a lot of the opinions exressed as "news" on Fox news. There it is.]

My theory is that we liberals are just too easy going and accepting of McDonalds, so the radical among us must go to an extreme. Kind of like the conservatives and anti-abortion radicals who kill doctors. Many conservatives (lets call them the young and middle aged white guys) were complacent about abortion because, hey, less child support (or the women conservatives who were a little more true to "keep your government out of my body" then the rest). So the hard core conservatives had to get more and more radical to make some noise. I condemn the anti-abortion radicals who promote violence and kill doctors and judges and I condemn James Lee too.

But it is my fault. I should have responded to your last post, Uncle John, to show the world that your opinion is not the majority and it is not based on sound premises. [I am reminded about the debate over whether smoking caused cancer 30 or 40years ago.] Are you denying that the ice caps are melting? Because that is real and it will have real consequences. Do humans cause it? Look around. You don't need a bunch of studies to show you what you see with your own two eyes. Humans have a huge negative impact on the environment. The question is, can we live with the consequences? And who decides? Some countries are going to be adversely affected by other, bigger, stronger countries (U.S.). We have a bunch of science to address and solve a number of problems, but it takes resources and political will. You have one opinion and I have another opinion. But calling the whole debate of global warming garbage, because of a few errors and deliberately blinding yourself to truths you see with your own eyes, is not a responsible way to conduct political discourse. Neither is blowing up buildings or killing people. And neither is silent complacency: I should have called you out in your last post.

Lee did highlight something that I did not realize. I did see the Discovery Channel as an environmentally responsible outlet and yet I am well aware that the message can be shaped and shaded. We can call a War "Iraqi Freedom", when in fact we were unjustified provokers against a sovereign nation. [Do you want to talk about false data?] We get a free pass for this crime, because nobody in the whole world liked Sadam (including me, by the way--he took a gun and shot his political opponent in front of a sitting congress--he poisened an entire region of his country that he was supposed to lead--he attempted to kill Bush, Senior--digressing, sorry) and 9/11 bought us some free "look the other way" juice. [Am I the only person who has a nagging feeling that radical muslims had nothing to do with 9/11? Where's the gain? Follow the money is what the "watches too many crime dramas on tv" mind of mine says. But look at me digressing.]

Everyone needs to pay attention. It shouldn't take a violent radical act to provoke reasonable people to sit down and discuss things logically. Well as close to logical as two people with extremely different views can muster anyway.

Also, Uncle John, I disagree with your premise (in a comment on Uncle Marcel's blog) that government spending for NASA is good and government spending for the FDA is bad (again paraphrased from the perspective of my opinion). I don't know what kind of crystal ball you have that you apply to your food before you eat it, but I beleive that it was the Bush policies (with origins in the 70's and 80's of deregulation) of decimating governmental agencies that has led to the massive reports of salminella poisening from eggs. The FDA does not have sufficent resources to do the job we expect of it. I for one, want to strenghten the FDA, not weaken it. Necessity is the mother of invention--they will build a better mouse trap if they are forced to do so. But if we spread the investigators thinner and thinner, business will cut costs however they can, and safety will take a back seat to profit. I just don't trust that those corporate farms have a management team that watches Glen Beck's 9/12morals and values to live by (which by the way look very similar to these posters at the Christian Science organization near my office--I think it is based on that guy, E.Ron Hubbard or something like that. I always liked those posters and I support values too without becoming a brainwashed follower--oops, I'm digressing.)

I hate getting into political debates because everyone gets so emotionally involved in their opinion (me included). I think that the media and politicians foster that on purpose. I am going to use florecent light bulbs and drive a hybrid and try to conserve water and try to limit my footprint on this planet and vote for solutions that address the issues of the stress that humans bring to the planet at the expense of other humans (I'm just not an animal person--I cannot get excited about endangered species--I've tried, but there it is) whether the temperature was one or two degrees more or less in the data from a study on global warming or not. But I will most likely keep eating at McDonalds. All I can do is try. And I suspect Uncle John that you too use florecent bulbs and do not waste gas and are not an irresponsible global citizen. Every time we actually chat, I feel that we are very similar, but I guess we have really stayed away from politics in person. Ah, the luxury of the internet. The next time I see you in person (and you me), I hope that we will smile and silently agree not to discuss politics in person. On the other hand, please comment--a robust and open debate on political issues is the very foundation of our great country.

12 Comments:

  • At September 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A very important thing to remember when talking to or about your uncles' blog a is.....

    A recent response to one of John's blogs called Obama a Muslim. He/she was not corrected by the blog owner.

    Not long ago Marcel bloged about some person telling him that he tried to run down some black back in the day of the civil rights struggle. The was no mention of Marcel telling this low life whatva wastenof human flesh hecwas.

    Extra note: Al Gore did not, as did Bush and the whole oil crowd, put his mouth where his money was. He simple put his money where his mouth was.

    Za

     
  • At September 2, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Further note: today Glen Beck has all (well, maybe not all) his money in gold. Guess where is mouth is.

    Za

     
  • At September 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Kathy, you have outdone yourself about this. So much material and covered so broadly. It takes my breath away.

     
  • At September 4, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Marty,

    When writing a blog I am only trying to get my musings down and I admit I am weak in ascertaing what others would like to hear about. Well there is more to the story. Jim McAlister was a mechanical engineer working for United Technologies. He was asigned to some of my projects and that is why I got to know him a bit. He was a talker (I think trying to make up for his lack of expertise in his profession) and regularly unloaded on me. In his fifties, he was crippled with parkinsons and used what we now know today as a Hoverround. Many others could not stand him and he knew it. After all, the plant was about 70% black and he did not want to interact with them. Yes, he was a racist.

    He was divorced and had a son, both of whom disliked him. Most of his money went to them but he did not seem to resent it. What he did resent was his mother being independantly wealthy and not helping him out. She had all her money in government bonds and he had the feeling he would never see a penny of it. He was sure she would outlive him and he needed help now though I do not know what he would do with it. When he left work his only activities were to watch television and drink. When he told me about trying to run down the demonstrators his eyes lit up and he exclaimed what a good time that was. God had already taken care of him with his miserable situation.

     
  • At September 4, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At September 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At September 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    Where to begin.
    First of all thank you for your comment post. I agree that a robust and open debate on political issues is the very foundation of our great country. I believe rational debate is healthy and I respect your opinions.

    I am sorry your computer had trouble with the word verification but it avoids a lot of computer generated spam that I otherwise have to delete manually. Some people of a certain political persuasion create software to look for key words in blog titles (like “Conservative”) and jam those blogs with excessive spam comments. I refuse to change my title. But, as you say, I digress.

    You did a pretty good job paraphrasing by blog postings but if your readers want to see the real thing they can click visit my blog at: jgbeau.blogspot.com

    The reason I, and others, comment about the myth of man made global warming (by the way, the key words here are “man made”. I do believe the globe may be warming at this time as part of natural cycles driven mainly by solar cycles. But I digress.) is because the lame stream media is flooded with man made global warming propaganda with little/no attention to the distortions and lies (what you call a few errors) perpetrated by greedy scientists, bureaucrats and hypocritical ex-vice presidents.

    I notice you and many other liberals seem to be obsessed with Fox News. For the record, my blog has never quoted or paraphrased information taken from Fox News (I don’t intend to go back years to verify that last statement.) If you clicked on the links in my posts you would have noticed they came mostly from foreign sources like United Kingdom Express not Fox News. I rarely watch Fox News because I do not subscribe to cable channels. But I digress.

    I too condemn the anti-abortion radicals who promote violence and kill doctors and judges. So we can agree there are radical nut jobs on both ends of the political spectrum.

    I agree that my opinion is not yet the majority (recall that the majority once thought the earth was flat and the sun revolved around it, but I digress) but I disagree that it is not based on sound premises. My premise is that the opposing “opinion” like yours is based partially on admitted lies and distortions. I can’t deny that some ice caps are melting but when I look around I don’t see what you see that humans are having a huge negative impact on the environment. There has never been any scientific proof that global warming is caused by humans. I have read, I cannot recall where, that the global temperature of mars tracks the same basic thermal cycles as earth but there are no humans yet on mars to the best of my knowledge. The sun, however, is common to both planets. I am not deliberately blinding myself to the truth and my political discourse is just as responsible, maybe more so, as yours. You have a nagging feeling that radical Muslims had nothing to do with 9/11 yet you accuse me of deliberately blinding myself to the truth!! Really??

     
  • At September 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    My comment exceeded the Blogger 4000 character limit so is continued here.

    I did not state a premise that NASA spending is good, as a matter of fact I am not sure it is. My examples of good government spending were police, fire departments, defense department and infrastructure development. These tend to enable or enhance private sector growth and enhance our standard of living. The FDA is a prime example of a bloated, wasteful, ineffective agency that fails its responsibility to enforce it’s own regulations by not inspecting food producers like egg farms. The classical liberal response to most government failure is to blame Bush or pour more money down the rat hole or both in your case. I don’t buy it.

    Most of our light bulbs are fluorescent, we recycle waste, we use drip irrigation, we avoid unnecessary trips, most of our appliances and electronics are “energy star” and we do not air condition (we use fans) but NOT to reduce man made global warming but because we believe we should conserve the earth’s natural resources and avoid pollution. Unlike liberals we don’t need the ravings of the greedy prophets of doom to do what is right for our kids and grand kids.

    The last time your uncle Bernie and aunt Lori visited us we agreed in advance NOT to discuss politics so we could part friends. Emotions tended to get in the way of rational debate in the past. It was hard but Lori did let a few barbs fly which I grit my teeth and ignored. When we meet face to face again I feel we will still be civil and part friends because I have a great deal of respect for you even though we are at extreme ends of the political spectrum.

    Ain’t this fun. We can disagree without being disagreeable or resorting to bombs or bullets. Is this a great country or what?

     
  • At September 4, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    One more comment about the FDA and the outbreak of egg salmonella. I don't believe there was a single case of egg salmonella during the Bush administration. However since Obama's appointed head, Margret Hamburg, started running the FDA 19 months ago cronyism and corruption reigned and virtually no egg farm inspections were conducted. I stand behind my comment that the FDA is a prime example of a bloated, wasteful, ineffective government agency that fails its responsibility to enforce it’s own regulations.

     
  • At September 6, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Truthiness. This is a word made up by Stephen Cobert. It means something that sounds like it should be true. I think we all suffer from believing the truthiness of things we hear without enough evidence.

    You are correct Uncle John, I don't remember ever hearing about egg salmanella poisoning during the Bush presidency. But there were plenty of other salmanella outbreaks and the response to Katrina pretty much describes how ineffectual and desimated our federal agencies had become. I believe that the reason they are so ineffective, is not because the idea of regulation and oversight is bad, but because proper resources are not provided and proper support of dedicated people is lacking.

    The executive is the leader of the branch that carries out oversight and regulations. If the executive states loudly and often that he hates regulation and a free economy is all we need for oversight, then it stands to reason that he will not lead such agencies well.

    There was a sixty minute story (repeated yesterday) about medicare fraud. They interviewed the director in charge of stopping fraud who said, we don't have the resources or the political will to fight this. The end of the story was that there were additional resources in the new health care bill to fight fraud and additional resources allocated now by President Obama and that the director had been replaced. To me, these sound like positive steps, but that's truthiness for you. We won't know until we see some results.

    P.S. I'm not so familiar with the FDA, but I recall specifically the FCC under Bush making irrational and erratic rulings. I thought then and I still believe that Bush's political appointments to that agency were purposeful to undermine its integrity. But in all fairness, I do have quite the conspiracy theory mind. Maybe Bush really was just giving the son of someone he wanted as a political ally and not as an opponent, a job and it had nothing to do with the fact that he was just really bad at the job.

    But the problems with the FCC are on the mend. The old head is gone, Fox is the plaintiff in the
    1st amendment case to fix the bad decisions and the Supreme Court is full of strict constitutional interpretists. And Obama is president. No more unprecedented expansion of executive powers from this court. Alls well that ends well.

    Ummm, sorry if that is a barb. I think it had some definite truthiness qualities though.

     
  • At December 12, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    [url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]PqGiuOOLfvFpNTTGK[/url] , eZiVFZOluV , http://hhmgziigpu.com

     
  • At February 13, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    [url=http://vtyupdr.com]KNYUfXJVqAlKnEZ[/url] - YJFsgFdHKkZZUY , http://iluubcb.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home