Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Ice

Did you know that they had ice in 400 bc Iran--they would cart it down in the winter from the mountains and then store it underground in sophisticated coolers with an elabrate fan system that kept the temperature frigid--in the desert. I had to search high and low, and usually fruitlessly for ice in Europe, but there's a moon of Jupiter completely covered in ice that is named Europa. Mythbusters proved that ice can be used to start a fire--carve the ice into a lens and then focus sunlight on kindling through the ice lense. Water is the only known non-metal substance to expand when it freezes. A glacier is not a frozen sea--it is fresh water formed from compacted layers of snow. Sea water doesn't freeze until 28.8 degrees F, because of the salt content. Black ice is really transparent ice on asphalt. There are 14 phases of ice. Although Kurt Vonnegut's novel "Cat's Cradle" featured ice-nine, the real ice-nine does not have the ability to freeze all water on Earth with the introduction of one grandular. Doesn't that book sound freaky.

I always knew I loved ice, but I had no idea of how many cool facts there were about ice (pun intended). I'm giving a speech and law stuff is too much for 5 to 7 minutes, so I decided to try something else that I love--I love ice. Ice was one of Caitlyn's first words. I rely on getting a steady stream of ice all day, everyday. When the ice maker shuts down, I have to go out and buy ice and I'm picky about the brand and then if that's all there is, I'm not picky at all. Crappy ice is better than no ice. Ice tastes like the stuff in your freezer and fridge. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the technology of an ice maker in its own little compartment making ice 24/7, odor free, effortlessly. I've thought about getting my own personal ice maker for my sitting room, but then I'm afraid I'd never leave my couch. At least now I have to get up every so often and get more ice.

Well somehow there's a speech here about ice. Now if I just had a great title--"Ice, ice, baby" is all I can think of. Or how about "Cool facts about ice--pun intended"

1 Comments:

  • At October 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    I am starting to believe your education in the natural sciences was cut off too soon.

    Also, ice floats and if it did not do so there would be much more of it in this world. It acts as an insulator and keeps the water underneath for further freezing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home