Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, August 24, 2007

Tall Tales

There is going to be a speech contest, but it is a tall tales speech contest. Paul Bunyan is the only tall tale that I know. I've been trying to come up with a topic or gimmick that I can make into a tall tale, but nothing yet.

I received a best performance for my rendition of the the "Cremation of Sam McGee"--I memorized it in grade school, but I've been telling it to girl scouts for years, so it came back to me like riding a bike. I have to admit, I've been a little lazy in toastmasters for the summer. I've given three speeches, but they've all be off the cuff with no preparation. I'd like to rise to the challenge of a contest, but I really have no ideas for any tall tales. Oh well.

I gave a seminar last week about debt collection. At the lunch break before it was time for me to speak, one of the gals taking the class asked me if I was nervous. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. Of course, she wondered if I was nervous about public speaking. Boy, I just wasn't. Give me a crowd when I've got something to say and I'm set. The problem is having something of value to say.

2 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about the tall tale in Fried Green Tomatoes, the one with the ducks in the lake, the lake freezes over and the ducks fly away with the lake.

     
  • At August 27, 2007 at 10:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    how about the "tall tale" of going to Iraq to keep america safe from terrorists, or maybe the one about the Weapons of Mass Destruction, or maybe go for all the tall tales the gas/drug/insurance corporations are telling us....sheesh! lot's of good stuff there- ha!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home