Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, June 22, 2007

You Should

I hate taking advice from people almost as much as I love giving advice to other people. I joined weight watchers and now I've started getting the magazine. I had it in my head (ok, I didn't really think about it, so maybe it was my gut) that if I joined weight watchers, I would lose weight. Not so. I've gained weight. Logically I know that simply joining weight watchers does not make you lose weight and merely belonging doesn't give a person the right to eat more (because I'm being so good by belonging to weight watchers), but logic is not my strong point in this area of my life.

So I was supposing that I wouldn't snack if I was actually reading the weight watchers magazine. Not only did I snack, but I had an extra helping because I wanted to use up all the ice cream so that I wouldn't eat it later. This is my brain, this is my brain wanting a snack, any questions?

So I'm rethinking weight watchers. The magazine (and the leader and all the members who've lost weight) tells how important it is to continue to go to the meetings to sustain weight loss. But I'm thinking, I hate it when people tell me what I should do. Why am I going to a meeting to have other people (who by the way don't really seem to benefit from their own advice anyway) tell me what I should do? And yet, going to meetings does make me vow each week to keep my food diary, which is a good method that works for me, of course I haven't done it for several weeks, but next week will be the charm. Oye.

I started a list of the "you should" advice that I have floating around in my head. I am systematically trying each one and then analysing its success or failure and the variables surrounding said experiment. I love science. My next "you should" is to ride a bike. The bike is ready and this weekend is ripe for attaining a bike helmet. I've mapped out a route that does not seem to have too many hills. I think I'm ready. This is for science afterall.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home