Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Tennis All the Time

Finally having full coverage on tv is almost as big a time committment as going in person. I just got back from court, tuned into the internet site for the US Open in time to watch the match point score for Kuznetsova go up. I really thought Szavay was going to give her more of a fight. Last night was very sad. First my tape from the evening (because I was at the toastmasters) quit after just two hours[--there is no button to change to a longer play--it seems like what ever the last time of the tape was, that's what it goes in as]. But I wasn't worried--it is unlikely that Henin and Serena played longer than two hours. I was really lucky to see that Nadal was still playing at 9:30, so I settled in to watch that match. OMG, poor Nadal. Even sick as a dog, he played great. He looked so much worse than Berdych, but he just kept playing. I knew that Ferrer was going to be trouble--he's been playing really well. Well, I'd like to see a Djokovic v. Federer match anyway.

Then after the heartbreak of biding Nadal adieu, I put in my tape of the beginning of the evening matches. I was so careful not to listen to the news. It started with the end of the Djokovic match. That's nice I thought--I haven't seen him play much. But it was getting pretty late, so I hit fast forward...for a long time...finally, I got to Serena and Justine. I was falling asleep, but I tried to keep up. Serena was a little off and Justine was playing really well, but Serena was keeping in it pretty good. The first set was very close...then the tape ended. AAAHHHH.

Barely able to keep my eyes open I raced to my computer to pull up the US open site. Serena lost 6-1 in the second set--yea, I didn't miss a thing.

Davydenko and Haas are getting ready to play. I have an appointment at 1:30 and then I'm going home to watch some tennis. Tonight is a biggie--Federer v. Roddick, and Venus v. Jankovic. I really like Jankovic, but Venus owns my heart. I really like Roddick too, but Federer would have to have the flu and bad luck to lose.

The Bryans lost, so doubles hold no meaning to me, which means after today, the big matches are fewer and farther apart--a much more manageable schedule (and in the comfort of my home with no direct sunlight--you can't beat that with a stick.)

3 Comments:

  • At September 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At a ballgame,there are always kids that have baseball gloves on while they watch the game. Do you hold a tennis racquet while watching? Try it and see how much more enjoyable it is. Only do this when you are alone.

     
  • At September 6, 2007 at 6:15 AM, Blogger paulette said…

    I hated, hated, watching Blake lose. Then Sarena gave it away. It looked like Venus wasn't giving her all either. These people make me crazy. For a while it looked like Roddick was going to be able to scale that brick wall. I'm almost afraid to watch Venus take on Henin but I'm hoping for a Williams/Chakvetadze final.

     
  • At September 6, 2007 at 10:55 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Marcel, I tried to stand like the players do when they are waiting for the serve--rock back and forth and run in place. It made my knees hurt. I don't think a tennis racket will do anything for me. Of course, if I could actually twirl it the way they do--that might be very cool.

    Mom, I was almost physically ill during the Roddick match--I felt like Federer was beating me. I might have to tape the rest of the matches so that I can just fast forward. I too was very glad when Venus pulled it out (although I really like Jankovic). I saw Davydenko play Tommy Haas--Haas yelled at the ref and I thought I don't like you anymore--you are mean. Then I put myself in his shoes--the call was so late and I had to admit I would have yelled at the ref also. While I don't think I'll be rooting for Davydenko, I was not sorry to bid Haas adieu.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home