Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, November 13, 2006

Sign of the Times or vise versa

All the signs outside my window are red. What is it about a red sign that will make you look? A study was done that showed, yellow was easier to see in the dark and through smoke. Glendale changed all its fire engines to yellow (as did many Cities). The old time firemen were angry--they liked the red ones. Eventually, the fire chief was replaced and the new fire chief has brought back the red fire engines. Why? Seems like safety should win out over sentiment.

Glendale has a big thing about billboards and signs. They just don't allow them. You can tell where the border for LA is, because there's a bunch of billboards. Glendale did allow Chanel 7 to put up a very large, very bright video sign next to the Freeway. You can't really see it from anywhere else, because their office building is nestled in next to the freeways on the other side of the railroad tracks. On the other hand, the car dealers have been lobbying for signs next to the freeways for years, to no avail.

And finally, I just finished the flyer for tour of homes (a fundraisor for PTA). I took the flyer into the printer to have signs made up from it for the store fronts around town. He said they would be ready today--I was estatic. I forgot to leave work early to go get them. I was so happy that they would be done today, I marked it off my to do list and promptly forgot to pick them up. No time for signs.

2 Comments:

  • At November 15, 2006 at 12:39 PM, Blogger Tim B. said…

    I can't imagine anyone saying "Gee, I would have seen that big fire engine... if only it were yellow! I missed it because it was red."

    Oh, reminds me of the fire truck story. A man calls the fire department saying "Come quick...my house is on fire!" The fireman says "What's the address?" The man says "212 Sycamore Street." The fireman asks "How do we get there?" The man says "Don't you still use those big red trucks???"

     
  • At November 15, 2006 at 7:31 PM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    Oh, Uncle Tim is so CLEVER!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home