Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, February 21, 2011

Whopping Cough

So the doctor who got mad at me for coughing for a month without seeing a doctor got to see me again today (seven weeks and still coughing). She suggested that it might be mold (everyone in the house coughs, so I have to admit, that thought crossed my mind also), but I told her that I cough more at the office. So then I described Adrienne's cough which is very much like mine, except ten times stronger. The doctor said, hmmm. When were you vaccinated for whopping cough last? When I was a child?? It's time for a new vaccine, but not until you are all better--they only last about 10 years and whopping cough is very contagious so Adrienne is probably the culprit. That was the doctor talking--little does she know that I was sick first, so I'm probably the culprit, except who gave it to me in the first place? Water under the bridge. She did a test (stuck a very long skinny stick up and into my nasal cavity) and she'll know if a few days, but don't that sound fun--Whopping cough.

So I have my handy dandy google at my fingertips and I looked up whopping cough (the doctor called it by its Latin or doctor type name and I couldn't spell that so I looked up vaccine which I also couldn't spell, but I got close enough and eventually found whopping cough). I read all of the symptoms and I am the poster child for whopping cough (and so is Adrienne). It lasts four to eight weeks. One more week to go, woo, hoo.

The only thing that has me a little confused is that it is bacterial. But I've had it before. Who keeps giving it to me? That is the question. I suspect Norm. He has a huge cough every once in a while, but it's not like we spend much time in the same room. Hmmm. Maybe he gives it to his secretary who is also my secretary and she gives it to me. Maybe she has been vaccinated, so she's a carrier, but not sick. Maybe Caitlyn got it at school (cest pool of germs), but she's been vaccinated, so she carries it to us old folks who haven't been vaccinated in more than ten years. If I was a detective or a journalist, this would all sound like good stuff. It's a good thing that I'm not a hypochondriac.

Ten minutes and no coughing--knock on wood. Wikapedia says that the coughing starts when you yawn, yell, talk or look at cartoons (I'm paraprhasing). So I need to stay very still--oh no, I just yawned. I'm holding my breath. wish meeee luc k .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home