Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tennis Update

I'm sure that you are all kicking yourself for never turning on the tv at just the right moment to see what's going on at Wimbledon--no? just me? Philistines.

Lucky for you, I'm a good detective and I can find the tiny, tiny mention in the TV guide and I have the experience to understand that start times are eastern time which means 4 a.m. pacific if it is on ESPN2 or on the middle Saturday on NBC, but not the rest of the week on NBC who could care less if the matches during the week are carried live for the west coast. Lucky for you, I don't even trust the tv guide on cable that said that tennis would be on ESPN2 at 10 a.m. and NBC at 10 a.m.--do they think I was born yesterday. Of course, ESPN2 is not allowed to show tennis at the same time as ESPN2. To their credit, ESPN2 apoligized to us yesterday if we were on the west coast and showed us the end of the late running Murray match--WoW, that kid got muscles out of the blue. I don't usually like the commentary, but every once in a while they come up with some great ones--my favorite yesterday is that Nadal is playing "scary good tennis." [I've tipped my hand--I really want Nadal to win Wimbledon.]

I was able to tape and watch most of the Hewitt/Fed match--great tennis. I didn't get to see Safin play, but he's up and down, so who knows. Federer can probably handle the rest of his draw up to the final in straight sets if Safin is not hot. If Safin is hot, Federer will still win, but he might drop a set.

Murray, though, who knew? He is playing great. He's had a tough draw--five sets against Gasquet who was also playing great. He might give Nadal a little competition tomorrow, then Clement or Schuettler, who? Really shouldn't be a problem in the semi.

Over to the Women--Jie Zheng, wow again. She is very hot. Unseeded to come into Wimbledon and had to petition to even be invited although she won a doubles title a few years back. I'm kind of hoping that she'll give Serena trouble, because I want Venus to win and she doesn't have a great record against Serena. Dementieva beat Petrova--I'm hoping that tv got some of that match, because I really didn't think Demetieva had it in her. Don't get me wrong, Venus will wipe the floor with her and would have kicked off Petrova too, but I viewed Petrova as the stronger opponent.

So far none of the tv coverage has been of doubles, but I think my favorites are still ok--I just adore the Bryan brothers and I'm really rooting for the Williams sisters. I think that I remember Martina being in the finals for singles and in the mixed doubles finals, but it is highly unusual. I wouldn't be surprised if the Williams backed out of doubles, since they both made it through to the Semi's.

I must say that I have less and less loyalty to the American men. Roddick does nothing but disappoint and Blake is so sketchy. I've been told by a friend who follows tennis to keep my eye on Sam Querrey, who unfortunately had a first round match against a very good spaniard ranked 21 Ferrero. He did manage to take the first set off him, but couldn't keep it going. Juan Carlos had to retire in the next round due to injury. Bad luck. I saw Querrey play at UCLA last year--he was great for the first set, but other than being very, very tall, I didn't see great weapons. Marty Fish also had the bad luck of drawing Gasquet in the first round. I was able to catch part of that match--I was disappointed with Fish, as usual (which is probably why I was rooting for Gasquet--let's face it Gasquet is much cuter.)

I didn't catch the Youzhny/Nadal match, but Youzhny has my gratitude for taking out Stepanek--I hate that guy. ESPN2 went to a lot of trouble to show us the end of that match--what a big cry baby and spoiled brat that Stepanek is. The commentator said that Youzhny faced the wall during one of Stepanek's "episodes" and the other commentator said, it was because he doesn't want to view the ridiculous drama on the other end of the court. I felt like saying, take the hint ESPN2.

Quarters tomorrow for the men, semi's for the women on Thursday and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday, men's semis, Women Final and Men's Final--I am so ready for a great weekend of tennis! I sure hope NBC doesn't mess it up--I have no problem getting up at 4 a.m. to watch or I should say, tape tennis. (I'm not ridiculous, just a little obsessed. Although I did seriously miss having the internet on my phone at court yesterday and having to wait until I got back to my computer to find out who won.)

3 Comments:

  • At July 2, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Congratulations Kathy, this article is worthy of being published in Tennis Magazine.

     
  • At July 13, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    I was disapointed that Federer did not get his second win, but it was a fantastic match. Nadal proved he is a winner and belongs with the top players.

    The win that Venus got was a surprise to me, I thought both sisters were out of big time tennis, yes, I was wrong.

     
  • At July 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Opps, sorry, that would have been Federer's sixth win.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home