Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Must Eat Soup

Mom is coming for Mary's memorial (yes, Mom--there will be talking and stuff, just like a real funeral without all the casket and minister stuff). This weekend I was looking for something to eat in the freezer and I came accross two bowls of soup that Mom made on her last trip. How did they survive this long, but more importantly did I have time in my schedule to eat them before Mom comes again. If she thinks we have soup, she might not make new soup and let's face it--you can never have too much soup.

We are cleaning out Aunt Mary's house. They lived there for over thirty years. When Urs found out that she had cancer, she went on a mission to clean out the house. I can't imagine what it would be like if she hadn't already put in so much effort. Dad and Adrienne have filled up several trash and recycle bins. Me, not so much. I've gone through a lot of stuff, but I'm not very good at throwing anything away. I found a note tucked away in Mary's desk that said "Buy Kathy some sisters" The note looked about a 100 years old--I can imagine her writing it just after Karl was born--kind of what she might have wished for herself.

With Mary gone, it's time to miss her two best friends, Bea and Urs again. Urs's sister called me and asked for the painting that Bea had done of Urs. She said that she wanted it to stay in Urs's family and I thought, what? I'm not Urs's family? It's hard to part with stuff like that. And all of Bea's paintings. I want them all, but of course I have no room for them. So I want to offer them to her friends and then I thought, what if her family wants them. I've never even met her family. I find myself jealous that they have any rights to her at all.

I wrote a little speech to say at the memorial. I really didn't think that I would get emotional, but I have a little cold and a sore throat--that must be why I'm getting a little misty. Good thing I found that soup.

2 Comments:

  • At January 23, 2007 at 4:14 PM, Blogger marty said…

    Mary, if your still keeping up with the blogs, you need to know that I never thought anything was junk. I only pretended to throw things in the trash. Kathy and Adrienne kept saying; Junk,Junk,Junk. I was always telling them they were wrong and everything was a treasure. I can't even begin to count the things I rescued from the trash bin after they left.

    Other than that.....enjoy.

     
  • At January 25, 2007 at 5:16 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    OK, this is the funniest comment in the history of comments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home