Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Organization OR A Few Of My Favorite Things

I recently turned 50. It popped into my head that I should have a plan for the decade--like a mission statement with an annual theme. My ABWA has stuff like Decade of Discovery with yearly themes going along with the decade theme.

This being a pretty monumentous birthday and all, I had to sit down and say, Kathy what would you like for your birthday. Since I pretty much get myself whatever things I want when I want them, it had to be something unusual. [Actually I do not get myself whatever I want when I want it--I usually talk myself out of things--too expensive, looks better in the store than it will at home, I can always watch that movie on dvd--that's what I have netflix for, etc., but I digress.]

So something monumentous that I just can't buy for myself--organization. I love being organized. A place for everything and everything in its place is a lovely occasion. I tentatively named this decade the Decade of Organization. I tentatively started assigning different areas of my life into annual themes. This year will be the year that I organize my office. I have staff coming in on the weekends and we are going through all my old files. I spent a whole day organizing all the stuff that I have kept for my law class in my office. But alas, I have only scratched the surface. A year may not be enough. Meanwhile, I look longingly at the mess that is my house wondering if the year of organizing each room in the house will come soon enough.

You would think that by age 50, I would have developed a little patience--but only one week into my Decade of Organization I am concerned that I'll never be organized

3 Comments:

  • At June 12, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    I love organization too. I just had to pack up my entire office (just moving to another building--I didn't lose my job) and I declare this the year of "when in doubt throw it out!" I have filled up my recycling bins every time they have emptied them. So, now that my office is down to its fighting weight I vow not to let those useless things creep back into my files.

     
  • At June 12, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Hey, where are our tennis posts? I count on you so I don't have to watch it myself.

     
  • At June 14, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Kathy, You have ten years to do the job and already you are getting down on yourself for the lack of progress. Look at how much time Obama is taking to spend the "Stimulus money" (maybe he just likes to sift his hands through the piles of gold coins) and he is not getting concerned.

    Just picking out your office as the first target is something to sit back and admire. Remember, ten years to get it all done, and nobody to nag you. Well, I do intend to ask from time to time about your progress.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home