Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, April 23, 2007

Civic Responsibility

The theme of our Toastmasters meeting tomorrow is Genocide. The fellow that picked the theme is in charge of table topics where you ask questions to each member about the theme, however there is also the job of Toastmaster who needs to have a few fun facts about the theme (nothing fun about genocide) and then there is joke master--talk about a tough topic. So no one was signing up to the Toastmaster or joke master. All other jobs were quickly snatched up, so that Miss ultra-involved (that would be me), still had no job and I certainly wasn't going to sign up at Toastmaster or joke master. And then there was the shooting at Virginia Tech. You feel so helpless and the news had no information for the whole day. You want to do something, but what?

My brilliant idea, volunteer to be the Toastmaster and get information about Darfur and other genocides to make other people aware of the issues. I'm so civicly responsible, but alas, someone else thinking ahead took the job of Toastmaster before I could volunteer, so I thought the only thing harder than being Toastmaster would be joke master and I signed up.

I actully have a good joke that is on theme and will make people think. Jerry Seinfeld did a sort of documentary after he ended his sitcom about going back to stand up called "The Comedian" I think. Anyway, he's doing his routine in New York and some German tourists come up to him after the show--they go on and on about how funny he is and one them says, there are no funny people in Germany--why is that? and Jerry says, maybe because you killed them all.

In order for it to be a surprise (to make if funny before you go to the thinking part), I'm going to start with Jackson's lesson in asserting positions. Now that's funny, even if it is off the theme.

4 Comments:

  • At April 24, 2007 at 6:51 AM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    Welcome back; we've missed you! And good luck with the joke-telling. Sounds like you have a good joke there with the Seinfeld bit. Although, like you said, you can't exactly find humor in genocide. Again, good luck.

     
  • At April 25, 2007 at 11:53 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Actually Jackson's lesson in asserting a point to make it so, was very fitting for the evening's discussion of the Armenian Genocide which Turkey simply denies ever occurred.

     
  • At April 25, 2007 at 7:45 PM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    I guess I don't know what Jackson's lesson in asserting a point is. Would you care to enlighten me?

     
  • At April 26, 2007 at 12:23 PM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Read Jackson's April 18th post. P.S. Lyle (Jackson's dad) is a professor of philosophy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home