Procrastination (But I Digress)

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Chicken

So when you force yourself to write a blog (because your sister who hasn't blogged in three months suddenly comes through and you feel like a slug if you don't have a new blog), you write about what is uppermost in your mind: chicken. I read in a book recently that one way to lose weight is to eat the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch--keeping a routine that you don't alter helps make it a good habit. Without knowing that piece of advice, that's what I've been doing for over two years, mostly because I'm lazy and I don't want to think about what to eat. I have one slice of wheat bread with a thin layer of peanut butter for breakfast and chicken for lunch. For years I've been able to find thin sliced chicken at the grocery store. It's more expensive, but I don't care. It's just right.

When Mary died we found frozen chicken--a lot of frozen chicken in packs of four fat breasts. We used some at the memorial, but there was a lot left over. So I'm trying to use it up. Four pieces of chicken, that I now have figured out to cut into smaller pieces, but then there's too much for the week and then there's leftovers for more than a week and after a week--it tastes pretty bad. Really bad. But I hate to waste it. The first week I ate through to week two. The third week I threw some away. The fourth week, I tried to have chicken for dinner too. The fifth week I started having tuna instead. Then I went back to chicken and when there was some left over after a week, I went out for pizza--two times. It was really good. It's not like I don't have pizza for dinner sometimes, but going down hill on lunch is a slippery slope--like buying that bag of reeses peanut butter cups--of course you can't (translation I can't) eat just one.

I blame fat chicken. So do I throw the rest of the chicken away? Do I eat for a week and then throw away the left overs? Do I start a habit of eating pizza once a week--oh, on Friday--that's always a fun day, well except the reason it is fun is because we have chocolate chip cookies at work on Friday, so maybe Friday would be a bad day to also have pizza. I'll have popcorn on Friday (100 calories) and Pizza on Tuesday (except when I have a luncheon on Tuesday) and then... There's only four more packs of four fat chickens left--I'm going to try to power through. No pizza at lunch. Chicken only. Maybe it just needs more salt and pepper. Ice cream--that's the ticket. Got to go now, bye.

7 Comments:

  • At March 26, 2007 at 8:38 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Throw it away and go back to your normal, expensive chicken at lunch. You have come so far, and worked so hard to let some fatty-ass chicken get in your way.

     
  • At March 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    All this talk about Reese's and chicken is making me hungry...

     
  • At March 27, 2007 at 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is hilarious writing. The quandries are understandable and human and we have all been there. I was amazed that you continued to eat even though it tasted bad. I gastronome like you (who eats only the best candy, peanut butter, chips and pizza) acknowledging that you will eat something that does not taste good. If you will do that then there are many other things that you can try and will find they are good to eat. Can oysters be far away?

     
  • At March 28, 2007 at 6:14 AM, Blogger paulette said…

    Alas, poor Marcel. For years and years he has been thinking that a palate can be educated. I immagine he has given up on mine and he is finding hope in the next generation.

     
  • At March 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    Well we know the next next generation's palate can still be educated, as it has been several times. Case and point, yours truly. I don't know how many times my palate has been educated by my grandparents, and for that, I am deeply grateful.

     
  • At March 28, 2007 at 11:54 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    "Poor Marcel" is right. No, I did not learn to eat the bad chicken, it made me not want to eat good chicken, just in case it tasted bad. At this stage of my diet life, I don't want to like new things (except maybe vegetables--yuck).

     
  • At April 17, 2007 at 6:55 AM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    Where did you go? You used to be the one that was updated the blog every couple of days!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home