Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hot, Hot, Hot

So that is the condition in Melbourne this week.  Maria is playing really excellent and then her serve goes and we hold our breath and then it comes back and we breath a sigh of relief.  Lisicki looked like she had the goods, but in the end Maria held on and she's still in the race.  Amazingly Zvonareva is out and a qualifyier, Makarova (whom I had never heard of) is through to face Sharapova in the quarters.  If Maria has a problem with a qualifier, then she deserves to lose, but I don't think she will have any problem at all.  Then she plays Kvitova--oh my.  She is a new up and commer who won a major last year and was in some finals the year before.  She has a great spirit, but I'll probably be rooting for Maria. 

On the other side, oh my, oh my.  When Kim Clijsters turned her ankle, I was heartbroken for her.  Then when Li Na self imploaded, I was heartbroken for her (thrilled times three for Kim, but heartbroken for her).  Next Kim faced Caroline.  I love Caroline.  I love Kim.  Kim had an injury and Caroline is really, really hungry for her first slam win.  She's a scraper.  But then so is Kim.  Kim Clijsters played so awesomely.  Everything was clicking.  Caroline doesn't give up--ever, but she just got out played by someone with a lot more weapons.  Kim next faces Azarenka.  Another commer, who's won some majors and been in the mix a lot in the past few years.  Kim will really have her work cut out for her, but with the momentum that she has, I like her chances.

On the men's side, we are getting used to this final four that is shaping up.  I thought that Del Po would put up a better fight against Federer, but Fed had it all the way.  I was not surprized that Berdych won one set off of Nadal, but I was also not surprized that Berdych is out and we have the famed Federer/Nadal match up next. 

Djokovic against Hewitt was not easy to watch.  Hewitt works sooo hard and Djokovic didn't need his A game.  And then on the other side--a new comer to the field, Kei Nishikori.  Again, if Murray can't beat this guy, this gift in the draw, then he doesn't deserve the next round.  Murray has been playing very well this tournament.  Djok better bring his A game in that match up. 

Honorable mention to Serena going out to a qualifier--it just was not her night.  And I expected Ivanovic to put up more of a match against Kvitova--That Petra has a great game.  Maria will really need to bring her best to beat her (if she gets there).  I didn't get to see Bartoli play this tournament and I was surprised and a little encouraged that Zheng Jie could take her.  It was so awful that Monfils was injured and didn't play 100%.  If you tuned in on my recomendation, try again when he's fit--he really is the most fun to watch of all of them.

So knock on wood that there won't be rain, but I'm sure they'd love a cloud or two, cause it is very hot at the Australian Open.

1 Comments:

  • At January 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think Maria only had ONE ace in each of her lad two matches. How can a server win with one ace?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home