Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, October 28, 2011

Training Days

So I am the type of person who will look for the very cheapest gas price.  I usually will not drive out of my way to get the cheapest gas (luckily I have a few on my regular routes) and I will let the gas gauge go down to fumes so that I get gas during a regularly scheduled trip rather than making a special trip.  I go to a lot of trouble planning and plotting to save that .45 cents per month.

Now that live in Chatsworth too, I am taking the train into Glendale and back.  But not everyday.  Some weeks I have as many as eight trips, but some weeks I have as few as three.  And the train is actually more expensive than gas for my awesome prius that gets 42 miles to the gallon.  However, I hate the drive and it is better for the environment to take the train, so take the train is the premier option.  I really hate the drive.

In September, I purchased the monthly pass to Glendale.  It was very expensive and I hated seeing that charge.  All during the month I tried different train stations and different routes.  If I have to go to court downtown, it took too long to get on the freeway from Glendale and it was actually faster to get on from the Burbank station which is right next to the freeway.  [I drive from the train to court, because the train does not come back to Glendale between 9:50 a.m and 1:00 p.m.--that's a lot of wasted time when most of my court appearances are over at 10:15.]  And the Burbank station is closer to my house and I was always needing to go by the house in Glendale for one thing or another even on the days I was going back to Chatsworth.  So I figured out that I should get the train at Burbank, not Glendale.  And it's cheaper.  I love that.

However, when it came time to buy the monthly pass for October, I hesitated.  I was having a lot of work done (the roof) on the Glendale house, so I was going to be there a lot more.  I did a little quick math and realized that it would be cheaper to buy 10 trip passes for the month of October.  The only problem is that there would be two trips left over that would go to waste if I bought a monthly pass in November.  Then it was no longer cost effective to buy the second 10 trip pass. 

After the first 10 trip pass was expired, I did a chart of my expected trips for the next three months and determined that it wasn't going to be cost effective to buy a monthly pass in November, because I have some evening classes and Caitlyn's girl scouts is starting.  But I was also going to have trips left over on a 10 trip pass if I purchased a monthly pass for December, which I did determine will be totally cost effective.  So now I have a chart of when to buy a 10 trip pass, the week to buy a weekly pass and the days that I have to buy single trips.  I'm going to save about .45 cents.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home