Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, July 19, 2004

Backseat Drivers Unite

Here I am trying to be a nice Aunt Kathy, but I fail again:  "Aunt Kathy is a backseat driver."  (Period within the quotation marks, thanks to Ben Franklin.)  Marisa asked me to give her a ride to her friend's house on Sunday.  I had driven half way up the block when I remembered that Marisa has her learner's permit.  She needs practice driving.  What better time to practice then a short drive in the neighborhood to a friend's house.  I pulled over and had to insist that she drive.  She was extremely resistant. (Wait--spell check, oh no, it's not in my dictionary.  Is it an "a" or an "e"--I just don't know.  Did Ben say we had to put periods inside the parenthesis or out?)  Anyway, she finally got into the driver's seat and she did very well.  Everyone knows how I feel about my stuff--I'm very protective, but I only clutched the door handle three times.  Ok, maybe four.  When we turned on the street her friend lives on, she got so close to the cars on the right that I had a terrible flashback of my first attempt at driving with Dad.  I scraped the car on the right, because I got too close.  So I made a small, tini, tiny comment that she was a little close on the right and I told her about my first accident.  She parked the car, scraping my tires on the curb and told me I was a terrible back seat driver.  Now I know we Van Houten's cannot stand criticism of any sort, but shouldn't the older ones get a gimmi against the younger ones and shouldn't the younger ones not do it to the older ones.  Just a thought.


6 Comments:

  • At July 19, 2004 at 10:46 AM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    when I signed on as a "commenter" it was for Jackson, so naturally I went with Aunt Adrienne as a user name. Then when Steph started, it was ok. But now with mom and Kathy abloggin away, it's going to look funny so this is your advanced warning to just get over it.

    BTW Marisa was very grateful that Kathy let her drive although as a teenager she will never show it or admit it to anyone that would appreciate it. I too am very grateful, beyond any means of recognition, because I don't know how well I will handle trying to do the same!

     
  • At July 19, 2004 at 11:27 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    You did this while I was having lunch (OK Jackson was having lunch, I just happened to be there). Punctuation always inside quotes; only inside parens is the full sentence is inside the parens otherwise outside.

    I am so excited to have another blog to read. Adrienne and Gretchen better get busy. You are a brave, brave Aunt Kathy for letting her drive your car (OK making her drive your car). I don't know if I could have held it together. How about Mel? Is she driving?

     
  • At July 19, 2004 at 4:49 PM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Not yet.

     
  • At July 20, 2004 at 8:59 AM, Blogger marty said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At July 20, 2004 at 1:44 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Wow, I never even considered clicking on the ads. That one was still there and now it is in my history at work. Hopefully, no one ever looks at that.

     
  • At July 20, 2004 at 5:29 PM, Blogger paulette said…

    Well, I am not a backseat driver. I just rode all the way from Dearborn with Rita and there was a passenger in the back seat so she had to turn her head when she talked, and keep her head turned to listen. She drives fast and stops close. I cringed a lot, but didn't say a word.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home